Posted by Lew Weinstein on February 19, 2015
Rolf Mowatt-Larssen, “How to Get Terrorists to Talk: A former CIA interrogator on the “do’s” and “don’ts” of interrogation, “National Interest” (subscription), February 18, 2015
“Rolf Mowatt-Larssen is a senior fellow with Harvard Kennedy School’s Belfer Center for Science and International Affairs. He served as a CIA intelligence officer for 23 years, where he headed the WMD department and counterterrorism center among other positions. He served also as director of Intelligence and Counterintelligence at the U.S. Department of Energy.”
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: al Qaeda and anthrax, CIA WMD head | 32 Comments »
Posted by Lew Weinstein on February 11, 2015
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: Jeb Bush & anthrax | 2 Comments »
Posted by Lew Weinstein on February 11, 2015
Background on President Bush’s withholding of the PDB:
The threat to use mailed anthrax was described to President Bush by the CIA in a PDB in early February 2001 that is still classified. See 911 Commission Report.
In January 2001, a bail hearing was announced for the Egyptian Islamic Jihad/Vanguards of Conquest #2. A threat to use anthrax was immediately sent to those responsible for the detention and threatened deportation to Cairo. Bail was denied on October 5 and then the mailer rushed to mail the good stuff.
The lawyer for the EIJ spiritual guide had announced in 1999 that Zawahiri intended to use anthrax to retaliate for the rendering and detention of senior EIJ leaders — and the plan was confirmed by the detained EIJ military leader (and another shura leader who was working for Egyptian intelligence services).
The late January threat was sent by the same people who sent letter bombs to the people symbolically responsible for the WTC 1993 plotters.
It was embarrassing to the Bush Administration because not only were they given express warning, but it is the former assistant of then White House Chief of Staff who the FBI suspects of accessing the biochemistry information relating to the concentration of anthrax using silica. See filing of defendant’s defense counsel.
The factual question of the day relates to the culture medium used by Ivins, and why the FBI did not allege that the recipe of the culture medium he used in the lab supported the searches they did.
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: Jeb Bush & anthrax | 53 Comments »
Posted by Lew Weinstein on February 9, 2015
February 1, 2010
Letters to the Editor
The Wall Street Journal
1211 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10036
Monday’s opinion piece, “The Anthrax Attacks Remain Unsolved,” was filled with inaccuracies and omitted several relevant facts that are necessary for a balanced discussion of the science applied in the anthrax investigation.
From the outset, the FBI’s scientific work in the anthrax case has had a foundation in validation and verification of its approach and conclusions. This process began within weeks of the initial events of 2001 and has included:
- consultation with numerous subject matter experts in technical panels;
- collaboration with partner laboratories in government, academia and the private sector throughout the course of the investigation;
- ongoing efforts to publish our work and that of our partner labs in peer-reviewed technical journals; and
- analytical data and reports provided to the National Academy of Sciences so they can evaluate the scientific analysis applied to the evidence in the anthrax investigation.
The FBI is confident in the scientific findings that were reached in this investigation.
We utilized established biological and chemical analysis techniques and applied them in an innovative manner to reach these findings.
D. Christian Hassell, Ph.D
* The GAO report has confirmed what the NAS said two years ago, which is that the FBI’s allegation that Dr. Bruce Ivins was the sole perpetrator of the 2001 anthrax attacks – or even involved in any way – is not supported by the scientific evidence the FBI has presented. ... https://caseclosedbylewweinstein.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=12568&action=edit
* Selected extracts from the NAS Report on the FBI’s anthrax science: RMR-1029 was not the immediate source … Other sources not ruled out … the FBI’s public scientific conclusions were not the same as those provided to NAS … https://caseclosedbylewweinstein.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=6619&action=edit
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: *** 2001 anthrax attacks, *** Amerithrax, *** FBI anthrax investigation, GAO review of FBI anthrax investigation, NAS anthrax science review | 11 Comments »
Posted by Lew Weinstein on January 6, 2015
DXer says Adnan El-Shukrijumah
is the anthrax mailer
… on or about 9/13/2001, Adnan El-Shukrijumah phoned from KSM’s house to tell his mom he was coming to the US
Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged: *** 2001 anthrax attacks, *** FBI anthrax investigation, Adnan El-Shukrijumah, Al Qaeda & anthrax, Mohammed Atta | 24 Comments »