Brian Francisco | Washington editor – JournalGazette.net (9/11/11) …
- The 2001 anthrax mailings were the work of an Army microbiologist who killed himself in 2008, the U.S. Justice Department concluded last year.
- Health and science writer Laurie Garrett doesn’t buy it.
- “I get outraged because the FBI completely botched the investigation on the anthrax,” she said in a recent interview on NPR’s “Science Friday.”
- “I get outraged because there is so much evidence that al-Qaida was behind the anthrax mailings and that at least as strong a circumstantial case as was made against Bruce Ivins can be made against al-Qaida, even stronge
- Rep. Mike Pence, R-6th, had his doubts about the anthrax source early on. In 2002, he wrote a letter to then Attorney General John Ashcroft to ask why international links weren’t being probed in the mailings that killed five people in three states and Washington, D.C.
- “I am concerned we may possibly have missed the off-ramp to the truth,” Pence wrote.
- Pence, who is running for governor, said in a recent interview he “expressed our frustration periodically” with the anthrax investigation. But he is not ready to try to name a suspect.
- “I don’t know where the weaponized anthrax bacillius came from,” Pence said. “I don’t know who sent it.”
read the entire article at … http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20110911/LOCAL1011/309119956/1066/NEWS03
Read the opening of CASE CLOSED (below) and then buy a copy at …