* FBI Lab Director defends FBI anthrax science … NAS & GAO beg to differ
Posted by Lew Weinstein on February 9, 2015
February 1, 2010
Letters to the Editor
The Wall Street Journal
1211 Avenue of the Americas,
New York, NY 10036
Monday’s opinion piece, “The Anthrax Attacks Remain Unsolved,” was filled with inaccuracies and omitted several relevant facts that are necessary for a balanced discussion of the science applied in the anthrax investigation.
From the outset, the FBI’s scientific work in the anthrax case has had a foundation in validation and verification of its approach and conclusions. This process began within weeks of the initial events of 2001 and has included:
- consultation with numerous subject matter experts in technical panels;
- collaboration with partner laboratories in government, academia and the private sector throughout the course of the investigation;
- ongoing efforts to publish our work and that of our partner labs in peer-reviewed technical journals; and
- analytical data and reports provided to the National Academy of Sciences so they can evaluate the scientific analysis applied to the evidence in the anthrax investigation.
The FBI is confident in the scientific findings that were reached in this investigation.
We utilized established biological and chemical analysis techniques and applied them in an innovative manner to reach these findings.
D. Christian Hassell, Ph.D
* The GAO report has confirmed what the NAS said two years ago, which is that the FBI’s allegation that Dr. Bruce Ivins was the sole perpetrator of the 2001 anthrax attacks – or even involved in any way – is not supported by the scientific evidence the FBI has presented. ... https://caseclosedbylewweinstein.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=12568&action=edit
* Selected extracts from the NAS Report on the FBI’s anthrax science: RMR-1029 was not the immediate source … Other sources not ruled out … the FBI’s public scientific conclusions were not the same as those provided to NAS … https://caseclosedbylewweinstein.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post.php?post=6619&action=edit