CASE CLOSED … what really happened in the 2001 anthrax attacks?

* Hassan Faraj Consent Order Provided Today By Virginia Board Of Medicine Announcing He Was Planning To Leave The Country And Never Return

Posted by Lew Weinstein on January 27, 2012

******

******

******

******

******

Advertisements

8 Responses to “* Hassan Faraj Consent Order Provided Today By Virginia Board Of Medicine Announcing He Was Planning To Leave The Country And Never Return”

  1. DXer said

    Stanley Cohen, the lawyer for Bin Laden’s spokesman who was previously indicted here in Syracuse, is now indicted in Manhattan.

    Attorney Cohen was Lynne Stewart’s colleague and associated with Blind Sheikh Abdel-Rahman, as well as one of the Virginia Paintball defendants (with whom Al-TImimi was indicted).

    He also, for example, represented the “doctor” Hassan Faraj who was listed as co-author on a JAMA article about Kathy Nguyen’s anthrax infection — but had worked helping jihadists rather than tending to the fake medical education on his resume.

    I had invited him to Dinosaurs here but never followed up knowing how busy he is.

    Bin Laden son-in-law’s U.S. lawyer indicted on tax charges
    BY BERNARD VAUGHAN
    NEW YORK Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:24pm EST

    (Reuters) – Federal prosecutors on Wednesday indicted a lawyer for Suleiman Abu Ghaith, a son-in-law of Osama bin Laden, for failing to report more than $3 million in income to the Internal Revenue Service.

    The six-count indictment brought by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s office said the income represented unreported legal fees paid to the lawyer, Stanley L. Cohen, between 2005 and 2010.

    Cohen, 63, was also charged with scheming to defraud New York state tax authorities for failing to report and trying to hide his income, prosecutors said in a statement.

    Cohen, who refers to himself as a political activist, told clients to pay him in cash, stored portions of the cash in a safety deposit box rather than in a bank account, and directed clients to pay fees by wire transfers routed to pay his American Express credit card bill, prosecutors said.

    He was charged with five counts of failing to file U.S. individual income tax returns and one count of wire fraud. He faces a maximum of 20 years in prison.

    “As alleged, Stanley Cohen instructed his clients to pay him in cash, and then stockpiled the money he received in legal fees in order to avoid paying his fair share in taxes,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara said in a statement.

    In 2012, Cohen was indicted in the Northern District of New York on one count of obstructing and impeding the Internal Revenue Service and two counts of causing the failure to file required reports.

    In an email on Wednesday, Cohen said he was “fully confident that I will be vindicated and see today’s ‘new’ counts as a continuation of a DOJ (U.S. Department of Justice) vendetta directed at me for my many years of challenging them at home and abroad.”

    Abu Ghaith, one the highest-ranking al Qaeda figures to face trial in the United States for crimes related to the September 11, 2001, attacks, has pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to kill Americans. His trial is set to begin on January 21.

    In May, U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan, who is presiding over Abu Ghaith’s case, unsuccessfully urged him to replace Cohen because he was under investigation by the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office, which Kaplan said could pose a conflict for Cohen.

    Abu Ghaith, however, repeatedly refused to replace Cohen.

    Cohen is expected to appear before U.S. District Judge Paul Englemayer in Manhattan federal court next week, according to a statement from the Manhattan U.S. Attorney’s Office.

    A hearing is scheduled for Abu Ghaith’s case on Monday in the same courthouse.

    The cases are United States of America v. Stanley L. Cohen, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, (Case number not available), and United States of America v. Stanley L. Cohen, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York No. 12-cr-00316.

    http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/19/us-usa-militant-lawyer-idUSBRE9BI02520131219

  2. DXer said

    Hasan Faraj, the resident writing about Kathy Nguyen’s anthrax infection got in trouble about lying on various issues to include lies told about trying to get an Al Qaeda associate Abdelrezzak into the country. What was the associate’s full name? Was he the world-travelling Abdelrezzak in the Montreal cell with Jdey?

    National Post (f/k/a The Financial Post) (Canada)

    December 2, 2011 Friday
    National Edition

    Off UN list, but still under a cloud; U.S. yet to clear Abdelrazik from own watch lists

    BYLINE: Graeme Hamilton, National Post

    DATELINE: Montreal

    With the applause and talk of heroism from his supporters and the balloons on the wall, it was a festive scene Thursday as Abousfian Abdelrazik celebrated his removal from a UN watch list that had labelled him an al-Qaeda associate.

    But while the Sudanese native said he is looking forward to walking the streets of Montreal without feeling imprisoned, the cloud above him has not completely lifted. The United States, for one, is not yet convinced there is anything to cheer about.

    Mr. Abdelrazik is off the UN blacklist, but he remains barred from entering the United States and is subject to U.S. financial sanctions for alleged “high-level ties” to al-Qaeda. A 2006 statement from the U.S. State Department called Mr. Abdelrazik “a significant risk of committing acts of terrorism that threaten the security of U.S. nationals and the national security.” A Treasury Department statement around the same time said he had “provided administrative and logistical support to al-Qaeda.”

    The focus on Thursday, however, was his victory in having his name removed from the UN list. It freezes financial assets and prohibits international travel for about 350 people and organizations with alleged ties to al-Qaeda. Among them are many nasty people.

    The Globe and Mail (Canada)

    Abdelrazik’s lost years;

    Canadian reveals his long mission of humanitarian travels that led him to Pakistan, Georgia and even Darfur. As he tells his personal story to The Globe, a picture emerges of a suffering and increasingly mysterious man

    BYLINE: PAUL KORING

    SECTION: NATIONAL NEWS; EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW / ABOUSFIAN ABDELRAZIK; Pg. A1

    DATELINE: MONTREAL

    Either he is a dangerous high-ranking Islamic terrorist or a deeply misunderstood Muslim humanitarian devoted to helping the suffering in hard places.

    While Abousfian Abdelrazik continues to flatly deny ever having been in Afghanistan or Chechnya, he openly admits to a long spree of travel in the 1990s that included destinations such as Pakistan, Bosnia and Georgia that were hot spots of Islamic militancy, as well as places of widespread suffering. In every case, including places never included in the list of accusations against him, Mr. Abdelrazik insists he was only involved in humanitarian work.

    “I went to those places to help people,” said Mr. Abdelrazik, who is now suing the government for $27-million, claiming it willfully kept him in exile for years, arranged for his unlawful arrest in Sudan and was complicit in his torture aboard. A federal judge ordered him repatriated in June, saying the government had violated his constitutional right to return.

    During six hours of intensive interviews with The Globe and Mail, Mr. Abdelrazik declined to fill many of the gaps in his personal story while at other times provided detailed and surprising accounts of trips to war zones or suffering, societies. ***

    But he is quite comfortable explaining where he did go. For the record, he says he went to Egypt in 1992 in a failed effort to meet his mother who was still living in Sudan. After getting a Canadian passport in 1995, he travelled far more. He went to Azerbaijan in 1996, Pakistan in 1997, made hajj – the important Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca in Saudi Arabia in 1998 – and went Bosnia in 1999 for humanitarian reasons.

    While Mr. Abdelrazik’s travels never quite match the accusations against him, they sometimes come close. For instance, he denies the vague claim that he was apparently apprehended or at least identified by Russians in a part of Chechnya in 1999. However, he admits to being in Georgia, a known gateway to Chechnya. The Russian military also controlled parts of Georgia.

    Similarly, Mr. Abdelrazik says he was in Pakistan, including Peshawar, gateway to the Taliban heartland of Kandahar in Afghanistan where the Taliban ruled in the late 1990s, but only to study. He denies crossing into Afghanistan or attending any extremist training camps.

    “I’ve never held a gun,” he said, “I am not a military person.”

    At the same time, Mr. Abdelrazik acknowledges he has no evidence, no way of proving or documenting his version of his globetrotting. He has no letters, no postcards, no pictures, no gifts, souvenirs, and – he says – no one who can back up the accounts of his travels.

    ***

    UN ACCUSATIONS

    The United Nations’ blacklist of individuals associated with al-Qaeda and the Taliban says Abousfian Abdelrazik is accused of:

    Being associated with al-Qaeda, Osama bin Laden or the Taliban.

    “Participating in the financing, planning, facilitating, preparing or perpetrating of acts or activities by, in conjunction with, under the name of, on behalf, or in support of and recruiting for al-Qaeda and Ansar al-Islam.”

    Being closely tied to senior al-Qaeda leadership.

    Providing administrative and logistical support to al-Qaeda.

    Being closely associated with Abu Zubaydah, Osama bin Laden’s former lieutenant responsible for recruiting and running al-Qaeda’s network of training camps in Afghanistan.

    Accompanying Tunisian Raouf Hannachi for paramilitary training at Khalden camp in Afghanistan, where al-Qaeda and other listed entities were known to train.

    Advising another individual concerning al-Qaeda training camps prior to this individual’s departure for these camps. He told this individual that he had been personally acquainted with Osama bin Laden while attending one of these camps.

    Being associated with the Ansar al-Islam network and being a member of a cell in Montreal whose members met in al-Qaeda’s Khalden training camp, including Ahmed Ressam (who attempted to bomb the Los Angeles airport), and Abderraouf Jdey (who’s been linked to al-Qaeda operatives and plans for conducting hijacking/terrorist operations.)

    Attempting to travel to Chechnya to participate in the fighting in 1999 in the company of others wanting to join the fight, but never making it closer than a small area of Chechnya under Russian control.

    • DXer said

      WHAT WAS WRITTEN

      The United Nations yesterday updated the information on Abousfian Abdelrazik accompanying his citation on the UN al-Qaeda watch list. (They use an alternate spelling for his name.):

      Abu Sufian al-Salamabi Muhammed Ahmed Abd al-Razziq has been closely tied to senior Al-Qaida leadership. He has provided administrative and logistical support to Al-Qaida.
      Abd al-Razziq was closely associated with Abu Zubaydah, listed as Zayn al-Abidin Muhammad Hussein, Usama bin Laden’s former lieutenant responsible for recruiting and running Al-Qaida’s network of training camps in Afghanistan. Abd al-Razziq recruited and accompanied Tunisian Raouf Hannachi for paramilitary training at Khalden camp in Af-ghanistan where Al-Qaida and other listed entities were known to train. Abd al-Razziq advised another individual con-cerning Al-Qaida training camps prior to this individual’s departure for these camps. Abd al-Razziq also told this indi-vidual that he had been personally acquainted with Usama bin Laden while attending one of these camps himself. Abd al-Razziq has also been associated with the Ansar al-Islam network. Abd al-Razziq was a member of a cell in Montreal, Canada, whose members met in Al-Qaida’s Khalden training camp in Afghanistan. Members of this cell with whom Abd Al-Razziq was closely associated included Ahmed Ressam and Abderraouf Jdey. After training in the Khalden camp, Ressam attempted to attack Los Angeles International Airport in conjunction with the Millennium celebrations in January 2000. Jdey has been closely linked with Al-Qaida operatives and involved in plans for conducting hijacking/terrorist operations.

    • DXer said

      The attempted entry by the one Faraj was helping was in February 2002.

      In the 2005 letter to the federal magistrate (which I’ll upload if I can figure out where I put it), the Department of Justice formally provided additional detail:
      “In the fall of 2004, the government discovered that the defendant used his fraudulently-obtained United States citizenship in January 2002 to sponsor the attempted entry into the United States by suspected foreign terrorist Amir Abdulrazzak, also known as Amir Amrush. At the time, Amir Abdulrazzak was an employee of the Saudi High Commission for Refugees (SHCR) in Bosnia. In October 2001, just a few months before the defendant’s sponsorship of Abdulrazzak, NATO forces raided the SHCR Sarajevo office where Abdulrazzak worked. The search recovered computers containing, among other things, the following information: [stuff showing WMD aspirations and/or planning, such as biochem suits]”

      Computers seized at the foundation’s office in Chicago contained a deleted file stating, “Hassan has spent substantial amount of time with us in Bosnia … and had said that he is willing to do anything.”

      “In addition to a link with the foundation, Faraj used his U.S. citizenship to facilitate the attempted entry of a suspected al- Qaida associate, Amir Addulrazzak, into this country in February 2002, [prosecutor] Buretta stated.

      I still can’t tell whether the fellow is the one claimed by some to be in Jdey’s cell. In 2000, the Canadian Abdelrazik associated with Jdey voluntarily testified via videolink at the trial of Ahmed Ressam, the “millennium bomber”. He testified he knew Ahmed Ressam when he met him at the Montreal’s Assuna Annabawiah mosque, but had no knowledge of his plans to attack targets in the USA and knew nothing about his whereabouts since he last saw him in Vancouver.

      The one in Canada reportedly left Canada in early 2003 to Sudan because he felt CSIS was harassing him. (Thus it makes sense he was trying to leave Canada in 2002). According to Abdelrazik, he returned in order to visit his sick mother, but according to the affidavit of an Abdelrazik associate, he left Canada because of harassment by CSIS agents. In Sudan he was arrested but never charged.

  3. DXer said

    Here is the article co-authored by Hassan Faraj and many others on Kathy Nguyen’s fatal anthrax infection:

    JAMA. 2002 Feb 20;287(7):858-62.

    Fatal inhalational anthrax with unknown source of exposure in a 61-year-old woman in New York City.
    Mina B, Dym JP, Kuepper F, Tso R, Arrastia C, Kaplounova I, Faraj H, Kwapniewski A, Krol CM, Grosser M, Glick J, Fochios S, Remolina A, Vasovic L, Moses J, Robin T, DeVita M, Tapper ML.
    Source
    Section of Critical Care Medicine, Department of Medicine, Lenox Hill Hospital, 100 E 77th St, New York, NY 10021, USA. bmina@lenoxhill.net
    Abstract

    A 61-year-old woman who was a New York City hospital employee developed fatal inhalational anthrax, but with an unknown source of anthrax exposure. The patient presented with shortness of breath, malaise, and cough that had developed 3 days prior to admission. Within hours of presentation, she developed respiratory failure and septic shock and required mechanical ventilation and vasopressor therapy. Spiral contrast-enhanced computed tomography of the chest demonstrated large bilateral pleural effusions and hemorrhagic mediastinitis. Blood cultures, as well as DNA amplification by polymerase chain reaction of the blood, bronchial washings, and pleural fluid specimens, were positive for Bacillus anthracis. The clinical course was complicated by liver failure, renal failure, severe metabolic acidosis, disseminated intravascular coagulopathy, and cardiac tamponade, and the patient died on the fourth hospital day. The cause of death was inhalational anthrax. Despite epidemiologic investigation, including environmental samples from the patient’s residence and workplace, no mechanism for anthrax exposure has been identified.

    Comment in
    JAMA. 2002 Feb 20;287(7):898-900.

  4. DXer said

    Justice Dept. takes on itself in probe of 2001 anthrax attacks

    By Jerry Markon, Friday, January 27, 1:14 PM
    Since it began a decade ago, the federal government’s massive investigation of the 2001 anthrax attacks has been plagued by missteps and complications.

    Investigators initially focused on the wrong man, then had to pay him a nearly $6 million settlement. In 2008, they accused another man, Bruce E. Ivins, who killed himself before he could go to trial.

    Now, in the latest twist, the government has argued against itself.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/justice-dept-takes-on-itself-in-probe-of-2001-anthrax-attacks/2012/01/05/gIQAhGLlVQ_story.html

    Read more

    • DXer said

      Washington Post, January 27. 2012:

      “The unusual spectacle of one arm of the Justice Department publicly questioning another has the potential to undermine one of the most high-profile investigations in years, according to critics and independent experts who reviewed the court filings.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: