CASE CLOSED … what really happened in the 2001 anthrax attacks?

* Stevens vs U.S. settled … discrepancies and contradictions regarding the FBI’s claims that Dr. Bruce Ivins was the sole perpetrator will not be explored in trial

Posted by Lew Weinstein on October 29, 2011

******

Robert Stevens ... the first anthrax victim died in 2001

******

 Jane Musgrave writes in the Palm Beach Post (10/28/11) …

  • A long-awaited trial that would have laid bare the federal government’s role in the deadly 2001 anthrax attacks and challenged the FBI’s claims that one madman acted alone won’t be held after-all.
  • Lantana widow Maureen Stevens, who has spent 10 years trying to get federal officials to accept responsibility for the death of her husband and four others, has settled her $50 million lawsuit against the government, her lawyer confirmed today.
  • Attorney Jason Weisser said he couldn’t divulge the terms of the settlement until it is formally approved by the U.S. Justice Department.

******

  • The trial, he said, would have also tested the FBI’s much-criticized claims that the attacks were carried out solely by Bruce Ivins, a researcher at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Md.
  • In depositions …
    • scientists testified that various people had access to the lab where Ivins allegedly produced the deadly compound. “We had people from Egypt, Poland, India, Iran, Latvia and China,” one former chief bacteriologist testified.
    • Ivins’ former co-workers testified, he had neither the time, equipment or know-how to produce the deadly anthrax.
    • Gerald Andrews, another chief of bacteriology at the institute, said Ivins never showed “that he understood weaponization technology of anthrax spores.”
    • Further, he said, it would have taken Ivins six months to a year, working almost full-time, to produce the deadly spores. Someone, he said, would have had to help him.

******

  • Such conflicting testimony flummoxed government attorneys.
  • They were trying to get the case thrown out, arguing that the government is not responsible for the actions of a rogue employee. However, in court filings that they ultimately redrafted and sealed, they, too, said some of the needed equipment wasn’t in the lab.
  • Further, U.S. District Judge Daniel T.K Hurley last week ordered that some protected documents about the lack of security at the institute, be filed publicly by Tuesday.

read the entire story at … http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/lantana-anthrax-widow-settles-50-million-lawsuit-against-1939293.html

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: