* PBS Frontline, McClatchy and ProPublica … The FBI’s false case against Dr. Bruce Ivins, built on obviously unproven innuendos and assertions, is beginning to unravel.
Posted by Lew Weinstein on July 19, 2011
Mike Wiser, PBS FRONTLINE, Greg Gordon, McClatchy Newspapers, and Stephen Engelberg, ProPublica write (July 18, 2011) …
- The Justice Department has called into question a key pillar of the FBI’s case against Bruce Ivins, the Army scientist accused of mailing the anthrax-laced letters that killed five people and terrorized Congress a decade ago.
- On July 15, Justice Department lawyers acknowledged in court papers that the sealed area in Ivins’ lab — the so-called hot suite — did not contain the equipment needed to turn liquid anthrax into the refined powder that floated through congressional buildings and post offices in the fall of 2001.
- The government’s statements deepen the questions about the case against Ivins, who killed himself before he was charged with a crime.
- Searches of his car and home in 2007 found no anthrax spores
- the FBI’s eight-year, $100 million investigation never proved he mailed the letters
- Earlier this year, a report by the National Academy of Science questioned the genetic analysis that had linked a flask of anthrax stored in Ivins’ office to the anthrax contained in the letters.
- Paul Kemp, Ivins’ lead defense attorney said Monday that the department’s concession that the equipment wasn’t available “is at direct variance to the assertions of the government on July 29, 2008,” the day Ivins died, thus “invalidating one of the chief theories of their prosecution case.”
the PBS program FRONTLINE is working
on a forthcoming documentary
on the case with McClatchy Newspapers
and ProPublica, the investigative newsroom.
read the entire article at … http://www.propublica.org/article/justice-department-filing-casts-doubt-on-guilt-of-bruce-ivins-accused-in-an
LMW COMMENT …
- The FBI’s false case against Dr. Bruce Ivins, built on obviously unproven innuendos and assertions, is beginning to unravel.
- When the case does finally collapse, it will be necessary to explore why the FBI went to such lengths to accuse Ivins in the first place.
- What really happened?
- Does the FBI know what really happened?
- If not, they are proven incompetents.
- If so, who and what are they protecting by keeping the truth from the American people?
FBI Director Robert Mueller must be made to testify on these matters.
He must not be re-appointed until he does.
If he stonewalls like he has with Congressman Nadler and others,
he should be fired!