* Attorney Paul Kemp: the FBI investigation revealed no evidence against Ivins because he was not guilty
Posted by Lew Weinstein on June 3, 2011
Katherine Heerbrandt writes for Gazette.net (6/2/11) …
- Frederick attorney Paul Kemp believes he failed his former client, suspected anthrax killer Bruce Ivins, by not inspiring him to have more faith in the justice system.
- Kemp identified holes in the FBI’s evidence against Ivins.
- Despite nine search warrants that included his house, car and any vehicle he drove, the FBI obtained no solid evidence of Ivins’ complicity in the anthrax murders, Kemp said.
- Nor could the FBI prove that Ivins was anywhere near Princeton, N.J., the source of the mailings, during the time in question.
“The investigation revealed no evidence against Ivins
because he was not guilty,” Kemp said.
- A May 19 article in the Miami Herald accuses the FBI of not pursuing other leads that could have led investigators to different conclusions, including the chemical makeup of the aerosolized anthrax in the FBI’s own laboratory reports.
see … * Greg Gordon (McClatchy): the apparent failure of the FBI to pursue this avenue of investigation raises the ominous possibility that the killer is still on the loose … Stuart Jacobsen: it is “outrageous” that the scientific issues haven’t been addressed.
- In February, a panel of independent scientists questioned the veracity of the science used to name Ivins the killer.
- Congressman Holt has called for a congressional commission to investigate the anthrax attacks, but that has been tabled for now because the U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO) is in the process of reviewing the FBI case and plans to have a report out in the fall.
Kemp is convinced that the government
could not have convicted Ivins
on the evidence it had at the time of his death.
read the entire article at … http://www.gazette.net/stories/06022011/frednew164248_32546.php